Ichiban UK - No 1 UK supplier of sushi to Tesco and Boots. Very successful in terms of great quality sushi manufactured in a well-invested factory but plagued by internal stresses of dealing with customer demands and delivering profitable NPD.
- Barely breaking even despite double digit sales growth
- Poorly managed new product development
- Ongoing stress of waiting for the next disaster due to poor control
- Limited understanding of cost drivers
What we did
- Brought in new team
- Implemented improved NPD process which better-assessed feasibility and costs to reduce last minute surprises
- Strengthened confidence in the business to enable successful negotiations to take place
- Completely relaunched both Boots and Tesco ranges improving on shelf visuals, range design and profitability
- 24% CAGR sales over 3 years generating significant profit in last 18 months
- High performing commercial/NPD team recruited and developed
- Inflationary price increases negotiated with customers
- Launched Yumie Sushi brand into convenience outlets, schools and universities
- Won SME Innovation of the Year 2014 – Food Manufacturing Excellence Awards.
- Much lower stress levels for all concerned!